Vorosmarty utca 51
service each Sunday 11 am
+ 36 (1) 246 2258
minister: Rev Aaron Stevens
In 1839 a Church of Scotland deputation left Britain for Palestine, but on the way Alexander Keith fell off his camel. Such was his condition that he and John Duncan started their journey back to Scotland. En route, the two stopped in Budapest intending to remain for only a few days, but illness extended their stay. In the meantime the Archduchess, Maria Dorothea, not only offered them hospitality but urged them not to leave, expressing a great appreciation of Scottish evangelicalism and lamenting the deep need for spiritual revival among Hungarian Protestants.
In 1841 the Scottish Mission was founded with the twofold purpose of evangelism to the Jews and revival of the Hungarian Churches. The multi-faceted ministry expanded over time, contributing to the founding of a children’s hospital that still exists, a Girls School, and German and English- speaking congregations.
Perhaps the best-known missionary to have served here was Jane Haining, the Matron of the Girls’ School who was taken to Auschwitz for her work in Budapest. Yad Vashem in Jerusalem has since recognised her martyrdom by granting her the title Righteous Among the Nations.
During the post-war years the Scottish Mission continued in a limited capacity under the leadership of Hungarian Reformed Ministers. Scottish ministers returned here in the early 1990’s and the English-speaking congregation became known as St. Columba’s Church. Today St. Columba’s is still a channel of co-operation between the Church of Scotland and the Reformed Church in Hungary.